Re: Whose fault are the infinities?

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 15:38:43 MST

> Point of history. Vernor Vinge spoke about the positive-feedback side
> of the Singularity, the effect of enhanced intelligence on intelligence
> enhancement, as far back as "A Fire Upon the Deep", and I.J. Good before
> that. Was I, however, the first person to suggest that this function
> may actually go to infinity? I.e., the "If computing speed doubles
> every two years, what happens when computer-based AIs are doing the
> research? Two years, one year, six months, three months..." bit? (For
> the record, I published _Staring into the Singularity_ 1.0 in early 1996.)

Not that I really care about attributions or ideas, but I'd be very
surprized if that idea hasn't been in print since long before both of
us were born. _Erewhon_ comes pretty damned close!

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,