optimism in the mass media and also Max More's comments...

From: john grigg (starman125@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 18:52:28 MST

Hal wrote:
I think people are ready for a visionary story about individuals who
don't want to die, who don't want to preserve their limitations, but
who want to burst through those boundaries and are actively striving
to do so. Any fiction has to speak to the era in which it is written,
but this is an optimistic age, and we deserve an optimistic StarTrek.
(end of reproduction)

I feel a very optimistic view shown in Star Trek was done in the first
motion picture. Was not V'Ger merging with Captain Decker at the end, to go
on to the next level, a very transhumanistic event?

It will be interesting to see how Star Trek evolves over the several decades
(I see it still around in various incarnations over the next three decades
at least along with James Bond) as advancing technologies shape society. A
Trek series set in the 25th (not 23rd or 24th) century where most people are
immortal, mature nanotech is common, A.I.'s abound and uploading is possible
would make for quite a series!! I want Anders and Damien as creative
consultants.

It has already been stated on the list how we ourselves live still in an age
of death, pain and separation and that is reflected in mass media, even
family fare like Toy Story 2 and Bicentennial Man. So as society changes so
will the attitudes in our film and television.

I was somewhat taken aback by what Max More said about being realistic and
facing the possibility of his own death. I can see his point about the
difference between optimism and dogma. Still, coming from Max it somehow
surprised and shook me.

Medical advances may not be that fast and as Wired brought up, the advances
will help the young far more then those with already age damaged bodies.
The point in Wired being that the best resistance against aging comes from
genetic engineering in the womb that will allow that person to age so much
slower to begin with and so take far greater advantage of what develops down
the road as compared to those not so improved.

I believe that cryonics and not life-extension medicines will be what will
get the over age thirty crowd to see "over the horizon" as they want to.
Saul Kent has said that this coming year he will attempt serious fundraising
among wealthy and middle-class cryonicists. Considering the window of time
needed to do the research(even when well-funded) to perfect suspension I
think we need to rally around him and see that he is successful.

I can possibly wait forty years or more to see suspension methods perfected
but many of you cannot. I want the older of us to also make it.

sincerely,

John Grigg

sincerely,

John Grigg