Re: Hubris or Enthusiasm (was Enthusiasm and reason [Was Wired)

From: Replicant00@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 07:30:09 MST

In a message dated 12/19/1999 5:33:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
GBurch1@aol.com writes:

<< This thread has prompted some further thoughts in the same vein. The
"look
 and feel" of our micro-culture will inevitably change as more people become
 aware of our ideas and their implementation begins to have an impact >>(snip)

great post

One thing about the WIRED article that I truly liked was that the "leading
Extropians" Max and Natasha were part of what made the Future FUN again!
 And that implies that they are cool, fun and playful...

Re: explaining or advocating one's futurist views:
Don't make people swallow the thing whole. When confronted with these ideas,
many people need a lot of time to question and explore. To disagree with soem
to agree with others is quite healthy!!! For me say I am an "Extropian" or
"transhumanist," implies total commitment to a whole agenda. And quite
frankly, not everyone agrees with everything espoused on the FAQ's, not even
within the ranks!

Instead, one might espouse positivism and a rational way to "keep up" - to
avoid catastrophe, by riding the wave!! : ) And when questioned by
professional peers on why I'm "into this stuff", I give personal agenda as
being as informed as possible and the love of learning and improving.

One more thing:
A lot of people react instinctively to VR, AI and biotech with vague or
uneasy fear. Actually that is often quite rational. To say that *we* are
"rational", inherently implies that others are not *as* rational. While this
may often be true it is also condescending to hear.

Thanks for a great post, Greg