Re: Lem on the Singularity and Great Filter, in 1970

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 05:45:59 MST

"phil osborn" <philosborn@hotmail.com> writes:

> >From: Anders Sandberg <asa@nada.kth.se>
> >
> >Impressive thinking; I have always admired Lem's writings. Thanks
> >Damien for bringing it up, it is often tricky to find translations of
> >Lem.
>
> For Number-of-Great-Orginal-Ideas/Page, Lem is clearly top of the class.
> Unfortunately, he generally focusses more on some incredibly extended ironic
> twist than on heroic or romantic plots. I find his books engaging to the
> point of addiction and then very depressing often when I get to the finale.

Exactly. I often get a headache *after* reading the stories, while
when I'm reading tjhe story I just laugh and enjoy myself.

Still, the _Cyberiad_ should definitely be in the transhumanist
children's story library.

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y