Re: nano-probe to nano-probe communication

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@www.aeiveos.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 02:24:45 MST

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, gary tripp wrote:

> Has anyone any idea how nano probes, embedded within the brain, might
> communicate with one another in an optical cellular network? I would expect
> each communication cell to be confined to an extremely small area covering
> perhaps thousands of neurons. If the transmitted signals are diffused
> throughout the area of the communication cell how would this constrain the
> data transmission rate?

This is covered extensively in Nanomedicine in the chapter on communication.
For short range acoustic is better, for long range fiber is better.
For really short range you can pull on cables or tap on rods at quite
high data rates (but you need a link between the nanobots). I think
you end up with cellular acoustic and fiber trunk lines for the best
architecture.

Robert