Re: qualia and rationality

From: Robert Owen (rowen@technologist.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 01:33:26 MST

John Clark wrote:

> Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@yale.edu> Wrote:
>
> >I think that everyone who adheres to pancritical rationalism ought also to reject
> >the existence of qualia.
>
> Because you experience no qualia I interpret "I think" to mean that you moved your
> fingers over a computer keyboard in such a way that it produced the following
> ASCII sequence: I think . I've been trying to imagine what else it could possibly
> mean but have failed.
>
> By the way, I do experience qualia so unlike you I'm free to find meaning, interpret,
> imagine, and even to think. At least I think I think.
>
> John K Clark jonkc@att.net

Then tell me, John, the answer to the question I asked in my post
"q***** [that is, "qualia"]" on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:56:26 -0500
which I had so hoped would move our discussion forward, alas:

                            Is "now" a qualium?

You see, this is deliciously subtle, unlike the quibbles over color
sensations and wavelengths [which admittedly were important in
their day]. Please be bold -- be the first to address my question!

Bob

Robert M. Owen
Director
The Orion Institute