Bicentennial Man

From: John Clark (jonkc@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 08:59:02 MST

Some of out "far out" ideas are starting to leak out, even into the conservative
pages of The New York Times. I haven't seen the film so I don't know if it's any
good but I have read the review by Stephen Holden of Bicentennial Man and he
really hated the movie, the reasons are very interesting. He compares it to a very
bad Star Trek installment and sneers at its " warm, fuzzy, self-congratulatory
humanistic vision, nothing in the universe beats being a flesh and blood mortal".
Holden also says "The possibility of a machine claiming to have human qualities
seems increasingly likely. What's not so likely is that a robot, in seeking to be
human, would embrace mortality." I couldn't have said it better myself but I don't
think I would have found it in the mainstream press five years ago.

       John K Clark jonkc@att.net