MEDIA: Reeves on spinal regeneration

From: Kathryn Aegis (k_aegis@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 10:35:10 MST

Christopher Reeve made a statement at the Millenium Project at the Library
of Congress, referring to which technologies seem to hold the most promise
for
a cure for him.

His MRI tests reveal no damage to the side of his spinal cord that controls
movement. His physical therapy has resulted in an ability to breath on
his own for brief periods of time.

Reeve: 'All that's lacking is signals from the brain. All I have is a little
28 millimeter gap that is causing all the damage. That makes me a prime
candidate for recovery. And, as [spinal cord] regeneration is achieved,
I'll be in very good shape. It's a game of patience now, but there will be
a great reward coming.'

Posted by:
Kathryn Aegis