Re: UPL: Dogs and Domestication

From: Delvieron@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 21:50:09 MST

In a message dated 12/8/1999 10:03:56 PM EST, spike66@ibm.net writes:

<< Hmmm, Glen, Im glad your technique worked, but dogs are pack
 animals, and they must be shown that *you* are the alpha, and that
 if you want his bone, then too bad for him. I had dobermans [dobermen?]
 and they had to be beta-ized occasionally. This is done most
 effectively by growling and baring teeth at them. They *will* back
 down. Really.

 Especially if you have big male dogs, you cant allow them to get
 too high an opinion of themselves. spike>>

Okay, I did also stare him down a few times<sg>. I don't think the growling
and baring of teeth is all that necessary, just the ability to show that you
will not be cowed without making the animal feel it has to attack.

Glen Finney