Re: Afterlife?

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 21:51:51 MST

> [Sean Kenny doesnt] ...remember when I first realised that people were
> mortal, but I can remember the moment about 5 years ago on Summer Holiday in
> Ireland, having
> picked up a copy of Nano by Ed Regis, turning the pages with a growing
> awestruck realisation that there was a chance that I might actually live
> forever, and if not me, my children. I've still not quite got over that.

YES! I was hoping someone would say something like this. I had such
a realization when I picked up Drexler's Engines of Creation in 1986.
It was a few years after having lost religion, and when I read about
nanoassemblers, it occurred to me that perhaps there really *is* a
way to survive this short earthly life. Needless to say, it was quite a
stunning moment, the kind that sticks in one's memory, such that one
can recall intricate details of the event, even 14 years later. spike