Re: On "Canonical Definitions"A Self-critique

From: Robert Owen (rowen@technologist.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 14:55:30 MST

Robert Owen wrote:

> Unless a "definition" is a postulate of a conceptual system,
> it must be rigorously derived (i.e. follow of strict logical
> necessity) from one or more axioms of a coherent axiomatic
> system such as a "philosophy" in order to be "canonical". I
> am aware no such system.
>
> Otherwise, we will continue to observe a dreary procession of
> "argumentum ad populum's" and "argumentum ad verecundiam's".

Upon rereading this post, I didn't like my tone -- much too
doctrinaire -- although of course I am right.

Thought this from the Zen Basho would express my aversion to
"argumentum ad verecundiam" (proof by appeal to authority)
in a gentler manner:

                  Do not seek to follow in the footsteps
                  of the wise. Seek what they sought.

Excuse my discourtesy,