RE: Uplifting 666

From: Joseph Sterlynne (vxs@mailandnews.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 10:45:20 MST

Man: Some of the tech dreams have come out true in the middle.

Woman: Well, what on Earth does that mean?

Man: _I_ don't know---they just told me to come in here and say that there was
extremely rapid acceleration of technological development, that's all. I
didn't expect a kind of Singularity.

(JARRING CHORD---the door blasts open and a transhumanist enters, flanked by
two junior colleagues.)

Transhumanist: Nobody expects the Singularity! Its chief cause is nanotech .
. . nanotech and AI . . . AI and nanotech. . . . Its two causes are AI and
nanotech . . . and intelligence augmentation. . . . Its _three_ causes are
AI, nanotech, and intelligence augmentation . . . and an almost insatiable
desire to upload. . . . Its _four_ . . . no. . . . _Amongst_ its causes. . .
. Amongst its causes . . . are such elements as AI, nanotech. . . . I'll
come in again. (Exits with colleagues.)

Man: I didn't expect a kind of Singularity.

(JARRING CHORD---the transhumanists burst in)

Transhumanist: Nobody expects the Singularity! Amongst its causes are such
diverse elements as: AI, nanotech, intelligence augmentation, an almost
insatiable desire to upload, and nice secret laboratories---oh, damn!