Re: Ban on Human Cloning

From: Zeb Haradon (zharadon@inconnect.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 19:05:24 MST

How hard is it to clone a human? I heard, from a biology major, that it's
*relatively* easy, that she could do it herself with a few thousand dollars
worth of equipment. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, I recommend
to everyone reading this to learn as much about cloning methods as possible,
if you are in a position to do so. Cloning for the purpose of procreation is
pretty pointless, unless you have medical problems making you infertile. Its
use in anti-aging technology is understated though. Stem cells which new,
young organs could be grown from would be rejection-proof if cloned from the
individual they are to be placed into. It's also possible that neural stem
cells could hold as much promise in combating general aging-related dementia
as they do for specific diseases like alzheimer's and parkinson's, or maybe
even enhance memory and cognitive function in normal individuals. Given the
hysteria over cloning, and its imminent banning (I'm 99% confident it will
be banned for several decades at least), it's important to set up an
infastructure of some sort in which research and medical usage of cloning
can be done illegally.

Zeb Haradon
My personal web page:
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~haradon