Re: Pocket Black Holes

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 07:15:19 MST

Spudboy100@aol.com writes:

> Potential Consequences, Opportunities?

I checked his paper at http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9911011 and
honestly, I think it is bullshit. I do not understand his proposed
unified theory (it seems to be a geometric form of electromagnetism),
but the "black hole" he proposes (which is indeed half a meter in
diameter and only works for electrons) seems utterly silly - if you
charge up a one ton sphere to 10^5 V (which is done all the time with
van der Graaf generators) it would become a black hole that would suck
up electrons from the vicinity. This is not observed, and if he is
right small charged objects like ions also ought to become black
holes.

Also, I seriously mistrust articles that refer only to the author's
previous articles, a standard textbook and one classic paper.

Consequences: maybe this can manage yet another science scare, but it
is also an opprtunity to demonstrate some critical thinking to people
and point out exactly why few physicists will likely take Özer
seriously. It is simply not very good science.

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y