RE: No Singularity?

From: Billy Brown (bbrown@transcient.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 09:50:07 MST

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> The cost of something depends on the cost of the
> raw materials, the energy required for assembly and the
> speed of assembly.

A not-completely-insignificant quibble: I would say "The cost of a product
depends on the total quantity of human effort (direct and indirect) required
to make it." Energy and material costs are really just indirect human labor
costs.

IMO it can be very instructive to view cost issues in these terms, because
it makes it very easy to see where you do and do not have big cost changes.
It makes it obvious pervasive automation has such incredible economic
potential, while making it easy to see that nuclear power does not
automatically mean cheaper electricity.

Billy Brown, MCSE+I
bbrown@transcient.com