Re; driving causes wrist problems

From: Amara Graps (amara@amara.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 09:28:39 MST

Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net) Mon, 08 Nov 1999 writes::

>Conclusion: in my case, the wrist problems are more related to
>driving than keyboards.

I don't believe that it's the specific activity that causes the
dead fingers (extremeties) - it's _how_ you do the activity. It
sounds to me that you may not be supporting blood circulation
in your hands, and holding some of your upper body in a static
contraction. Is it possible to ride your motorcycle in a more
relaxed fashion- ease up on the grips (safely) ?

So about driving -

Certainly I made my RSI worse during my most injured years when
I drove that beautiful Route 9 drive to Big Basin Park- curvey twisty
turns, with my hands gripped ultra-hard on my car's shift handle
and the steering wheel.

But I also can still excerberate my old injury by holding the hammers
of hammered dulcimer instrument tight or by holding the handlebars of
my bicycle tight for long parts of my bicycle rides.

My own experience from these last 5 years of learning about my RSI
injury, is that once I taught my body new ways to move and carry itself
so that muscles were not held static for long periods of time
(breaks help too), the healing began. (Many other factors
were involved in the healing process too.)

Take a good look at how you are moving and keep that blood
flowing. It's really important. Maybe Biofeedback can show
you some things too (in my opinion, it's the most efficient way
to learn how to move differently and in a relaxed way.)

You can look at my RSI page too and see if there's anything appropriate
for your injury (it's for computer users, but maybe you'd find
some useful things on it):

http://www.amara.com/aboutme/rsi.html

Amara

Amara Graps email: amara@amara.com
Computational Physics vita: finger agraps@shell5.ba.best.com
Multiplex Answers URL: http://www.amara.com/
     "Trust in the Universe, but tie up your camels first."
               (adaptation of a Sufi proverb)