Re: "Web-mediated SETI": Robert Bradbury Replies

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 20:45:54 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:

> `Not satellites, darling. Those are stars,' Daddy said, and came and sat
> down beside me on a shelf of cooling rock, putting his arm around me
> tightly. `That's what they've done to the stars.'

Behold, I shall now rain on thy parade.

"There was once a race that spent most of its resources in devising a
means by which a star may be moved. This they learned how to do, and
did. They rearranged some of the constellations seen from their home
planet. How this was done is unknown. The motive was not religious or
superstitious in nature, but derived chiefly from esthetic concerns..."
        -- John DeChancie, "Paradox Alley", p. 55.

--
           sentience@pobox.com          Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
        http://pobox.com/~sentience/tmol-faq/meaningoflife.html