Re: The Unfathomable

From: Cynthia (cyn386@flash.net)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 19:06:43 MST

> No, "god" can't be compared to a relatively neutral
> meme like "infinity"; it is firmly (and IMHO duly)
> linked to things like ignorance, irrationality and
> oppression. It's a meme that carries a lot of (often
> unpleasant) historical baggage. That's why atheists
> get upset when you use it.

The concept of God has appeared over and over again, with many different
interpretations. What makes the atheists different, is that instead of
redefining the concept of God, they get disagreeable.

If your god is rationality, popular opinion, money, drugs, or sports. Just
say so. But don't fool yourself into thinking that we are without our petty
gods.