evangelicals uniting with scientists?(For Max More, Greg Burch and Eliezer)...

From: john grigg (starman125@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 13:58:14 MST

Eliezer wrote:
>Yes, we may see it our lifetimes - fundamentalist Christians and
> >physicists banding together to make war on New Agers and social
> >scientists!

Actually New Agers can come in so many forms and I see many individuals and
groups being thrown in with them arbitrarily. I could see some people
saying the Extropian Institute is a "new age" group! lol

I would like to know what the problem is about social scientists?? What is
wrong with psychologists and sociologists? I have a sociology professor who
went off on me when I called sociology a "soft" science!

I read with interest Greg Burch's post about coming across a new age
newsletter packed with advertising. We have a popular one up here in
Alaska. I do not know how much the two relate but ours does some some
redeeming value with usually one or two articles at least about human
relationships or nutrition that are beneficial. A person must be careful
because there is plenty of snake oil being advertised also.

Another good example is the "Tools for Exploration" catalog which is full of
"peak performance" products such as brain machines, biofeedback devices,
nutritional supplements and anything else you could imagine. Some of it is
classic snake oil but there is much there in my view that could be good and
in fact is the sort of thing Anders might recommend in his vast Transhuman
site.

As for physicists and evangelicals uniting it just might happen for perhaps
brief periods. I don't see evangelicals and extropians uniting on anything
soon. In fact I expect Hal Lindsey or Bob Larson to be writing a book
denouncing transhumanism anytime!! You will know you have arrived when that
happens. Moody press would lose half their revenue if they stopped
publishing books against Mormons.
Extropianism could be their next cash cow. Max More and the rest of you
will make for great antagonists in their story. I see Bob Larson
interviewing Max and Natasha and acting horrified each time they make a
statement. Then he will sell it to his listeners for hundred dollar
donations. I will say to the man's credit he does help out alot of really
messed up teens who have nowhere else to turn.

Sincerely,

John Grigg