PROGRAMMING: Free Tools Finally Available

From: Ken Meyering (ken@define.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 00:35:49 MST

Today Microsoft released their DirectX 7.0 SDK.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1999/Sept99/DirectX7pr.htm

While the download is rather large at 129Mb, I expect it'll be worth
the wait.

Finally, for those of us mere mortals who are frustrated with C++ but
can manage to program in Visual Basic, VB can now access the API for
3D graphics and sound.

The SDK includes VB examples.

I'm gonna experiment with 3D positioning of wavetable music
synthesis, and maybe play with hardware-accelerated 3D graphics.

I expect my CD should be ready for commercial release around the year
2025, when nanomedicine is able to provide self-discipline and a long-
sought cure to writer's block.

ken@define.com