Metastable universe

From: Edd111@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 17:39:03 MDT

I recall, at one of the senior associate meetings in Palo Alto,someone
mentioned the possibility of a metastable universe, in which, anytime, but
far more probably billions of years in the future, the universe could undergo
a phase shift, in which all matter (visible and dark), in fact, the entire
structure of the universe would be forever altered. Of course, all life
would be instantaneously- gone!

The question I ask, is this metastability something that most scientists
believe in, or is it very much a minority theory. And if it 'can happen
anytime', due to the limiting speed of light, will it be forever impossible
to know if the universe is phase shifting, even as we speak?

Ed Reifman