For Anders Sandberg Re:Sociopaths

From: Clint O'Dell (clintodell@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 17:09:47 MDT

Anders Sandberg wrote:
>Actually, the basic cortical circuit is the same with minor variations
>across the entire cortex, including in the prefrontal lobes and the
>occipital lobes. The inputs and outputs are usually mainly the thalamus and
>other cortical areas, which ones depending on location. The difference is
>mainly which inputs each patch of cortex get. Even in the "highest" parts
>of the frontal lobes there are cells

OK. I now see how people can have an inability to learn or act from social
programming, thus developing into a sociopath. But, that doesn't explain
variences of social disorders, UNLESS they have other mental symptoms as
well. Classifying someone as a sociopath minimizes isolating the problem.
Such a classification would definately indicate brain damage (putting aside
it may be the philosophy of a normal brain) and I would look toward
medication and/or surgery along with cognitive therapy. Before doing so
though, I would definately MAKE SURE they lack ability. How do you test
someones ability, mental reflexes? Especialy someone who's uncooperative or
may be lying to you (always need to expect that)?