Re: Sociopaths (was Re: Reforming Education)

From: Clint O'Dell (clintodell@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 15:17:16 MDT

>Anyway, in a recent edition of the local paper there was a report on a
>particular syndrome that has been identified as genetically based.

You will have to post the abstract of this research for me to believe it.
Sounds like total bullshit to me.

>Some researchers want to classify it as a form of autism, while others
>object that since the sufferers do not have nearly the extreme version of
>the symptoms that are typical of the autistic, it should not be lumped in.

The problem with mental illness classifications in the psychiatric industry
is they try to sum up a bunch of symptoms found commonly with people of
certain personality characteristics and call it a disorder. These people
don't have a f***ing clue. You can not diagnose a mental condition as if
it were small pox. Until people realize this, there will be very little
advancement.

>The typical behavioral symptoms are things like inability to respond
>appropriately

??!? inability ??!? I think everyone already knows my view on this.

in social settings, misinterpreting social signals completely,

look into their childhood upbringing. Meet their bizzare parents.

>failure to abide by social norms of dress and grooming, often accompanied
>by strange physical gait or tics. They noted that many such people are
>highly intelligent and productive and that a high percentage of the
>afflicted are in fact considered top computer programmers - so-called
>"super-programmers", who can work at blinding speed for long intense
>stretches of total concentration, but are useless in social settings.

Sounds like some reporter just made this up. How many people are effected
aparently? And where are the records?