Re: Radioactive decay and long-term preservation

From: Amara Graps (amara@amara.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 04:02:39 MDT

Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net) Sat, 23 Oct 1999 writes:

>Robert, I was on a camping trip during the radioactivity-impact-
>>on-protoplasm-due-to-nearby-exploding-star discussion that went on the
>week >before Extro4. Ill hafta dig thru the archives

You may find this essay helpful:

Will a Nearby Supernova Endanger Life on Earth?
by Michael Richmond

http://stupendous.rit.edu/richmond/answers/snrisks.txt

His essay considers the following emission from a nearby supernova

1. optical and near-optical light
2. X-rays from the explosion itself
3. X-rays from the supernova remnant
4. gamma rays
5. neutrinos
6. energetic particles

Hope that helps,

Amara

Amara Graps email: amara@amara.com
Computational Physics vita: finger agraps@shell5.ba.best.com
Multiplex Answers URL: http://www.amara.com/
     "Trust in the Universe, but tie up your camels first."
               (adaptation of a Sufi proverb)