Re: American Psychiatric Association

From: Delvieron@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 20:32:38 MDT

Sherry,

   Sorry how late I'm jumping in here on the conversation (been very busy at
the hospital). However, I can confirm that study is being done on whether
magnetic fields could be useful in the treatment of depression and other
emotional disorders. I've spoken personally with at least one neurologist at
the University of Florida who is looking into the possibility. Seems they
are using magnets similar to those used in MRI, but with even higher Tesla
strength (if I remember correctly), and that can be focused on small areas.
One of the advantages UF has is they have access to the the high energy
magnet lab being developed at Florida State University in Tallahassee. I had
heard others were looking into the possibilities, but wasn't familiar with
the work at Pennsylvania. Thanks for bringing it up.

Glen Finney