Re: Extropian Party Platform

From: E. Shaun Russell (e_shaun@uniserve.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 07:12:20 MDT

Fred Moulton wrote:

>I would expect to see a beer chugging team sponsored by the Temperance
>Union at about the same time as I would expect to see a political party
>sponsored by the Extropy Institute.

        I agree. Philosophies and manifestos which are developed into a political
framework have a history of compromising their initial values. For a
politic to have any public weight at all, it must either mirror the
feelings of a significant portion of the population, or adapt its core
values to those needs. Given the fact that Extropy has existed for 12+
years (longer conceptually) and currently has well under 1000 members, its
support as a politic would be negligible.

        As I have said for years, the immersion of extropian values into mass
culture must be done very carefully --at this stage of extropic
development, all it takes are a few boisterous "kooks" to hinder the public
perception of our philosophy.

E. Shaun Russell Extropian, Musician, ExI Member
e_shaun@uniserve.com <KINETICIZE *YOUR* POTENTIAL>

"The reason I'm involved with Extropy...is to end the carnage."
                                      -Robert Bradbury, Extro-4