Re: What if Solipsistic Morality was Normal?

From: Robert Owen (rowen@technologist.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 13:56:32 MDT

Clint O'Dell wrote:

> I make my decisions on a completely selfish bases but that does not mean
> that I'm going to take the cocunut and throw the other guy over board. If
> there is a chance the other guy will help in my survival then I will share
> so that he will be alive to help me. Also since I understand the law of
> retaliation (I mentioned earlier) I know that I could be or have been that
> other guy and wouldn't want to face a life or death battle myself. Both
> senarios are extremely selfish. And to be selfish doesn't classify a person
> as a sociopath.

Clint,

At work, Monday, meetings....but I want to make a pre-reply to tell you
that your remarks here have evoked, to my delight, an hypothesis that
is based on an old idea but might have a new application. I'm calling it
the "If You Take Time to Think Theory" or "The Hypertrophied Reason
Hypothesis" to account for the type of ENLIGHTENED SELF-INTEREST
axiom in the "Free Enterprise" Doctrine of laissez faire Capitalism that
you suggest. The kind of thing discussed by Adam Smith. More later.

Bob
Robert M. Owen
Director
The Orion Institute