Designer Symbiots

From: Ken Clements (Ken@InnovationOnDmnd.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 20:17:40 MDT

Dear Extropians,

It seems to me that we could get started in the process of modifying
human beings by starting with the symbiotic organisms that live inside
of human beings. Those who know me will recall that I have written
about replacing the mitochondria of living cells with tiny machines,
nanochondria. The power of having nanochondria in all your cells is
almost limitless, but that is the general case of most faculties in the
post nanotechnology world. Lately, however, I have been thinking about
what can be done now to take some small steps in this direction. One
possibility is to modifying structures that are not quite as intimate as
mitochondria and much easier to manipulate, for example colon bacteria.

The bacterium, Escherichia coli, is probably the most studied organism
of all time. It is a common platform for the genetic engineering of new
enzymes and potential pharmaceuticals. The enzyme systems of E. coli
are quite robust and admired for their ability to metabolize a wide
variety of possible nutrition sources. It has been known for some time
that E. coli provide human beings with a number of important vitamins.
It seems to me that a straightforward use of genetic engineering would
be to insert more genes into E. coli in order to have it provide a more
complete vitamin source to humans. I feel this could do a great deal of
good in the Third World where even the low cost of vitamins is
prohibitive. It is clear this could have an impact upon the health and
mental development of millions of people in malnourished areas of the
world.

Closer to home, this could provide a strain of E. coli that has been
loaded with a gene that suppresses the enzyme in strain O157:H7 that
facilitates destruction of the intestine lining. Also, it may be
possible to set this gene to be easily passed to O157:H7 (and other
strains) so as to make them more civilized. It may also be possible to
modify E. coli to break down some toxins that you wish you had not
ingested.

Of course, there would be some difficulties. First comes the general
acceptance of anything that is genetically engineered. Then there is
the fear that something living inside of you may mutate to be unsafe.
One would not expect the vitamin companies to be too happy about this
new development.

Could we get going this way? Do you think this is a valuable step?
Would the existing research community fund it? Do you think the
political problems will be solvable? If not, what human modification
will be accepted, and when?

-Ken