Re: Degrees vs. smarts

From: David Lubkin (lubkin@unreasonable.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 21:48:48 MDT

>Needless splits, or does that need saying? We have quite a polymathic
>group here. Many persons other than Nadia and Natasha, including myself,
>have posted on art topics, and Nadia and Natasha have posted on technical
>topics.

>Pigeonholing seems a needless remnant of the prior economic need to
>specialize, whereas now and in the future an interdisciplinary approach
>will produce the ideas and products that carry humanity forward.

No disagreement. I'm sure nearly all of us have a diversity of interests
and talents, straddling the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and
other endeavours.

But in my experience, coming from a family chock-a-block with polymaths,
each of us has dominant perspectives through which we view the world.
My own foci are pattern recognition, problem solving, aesthetics, and
communication. It seems like most of the time I'm concentrating on one
or more of those four, to the exclusion of other considerations.

-- David Lubkin.

lubkin@unreasonable.com || Unreasonable Software, Inc. || www.unreasonable.com
a trademark of USI: