Astronomy Music (was: One Year Too Late)

From: Amara Graps (amara@amara.com)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 17:46:31 MDT

Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com) Wed, 22 Sep 1999 writes:

>But perhaps someone who is into music professionally and/or
>knows someone in this field could create their own version
>of what the Oregon Symphony Orchestra did in 1998...

>Music of the Voyager Space Probe:
>The Carl Sagan Memorial Concert:
>http://www.orsymphony.org/voyager.html

In 1998, a composer named Stephen Taylor wrote a symphony called
Shattering Suns around SOHO Michelson-Doppler-Imager (MDI) "sound" data
of the Sun. The sound data came from helioseismology doppler images from
one of SOHO's instruments. The doppler velocity data was processed in a way to
retain only the low angular degree oscillation modes (out of the million
or so modes), and the spacecraft motion effects, the instrumental noise,
and the solar supergranulation effects were removed, and then
the frequencies were speeded up 42,000 times to bring the sounds
into human audible range. I like these sounds alot. You can
hear some of them here:

http://soi.stanford.edu/results/sounds.html

Stephen Taylor's Sun grand symphony music can be heard here:

http://www.orat.ilstu.edu/~staylor/suns/heartofsun.html

I'm in the middle of trying my hand at creating "sounds" from
dust impact rate data from the Galileo spacecraft Dust Detector.
I hope that I can create something as cool :-).

Amara

Amara Graps | Max-Planck-Institut fuer Kernphysik
Interplanetary Dust Group | Saupfercheckweg 1
+49-6221-516-543 | 69117 Heidelberg, GERMANY
Amara.Graps@mpi-hd.mpg.de * http://galileo.mpi-hd.mpg.de/~graps
      "Never fight an inanimate object." - P. J. O'Rourke