Re: violence...

From: m (mt_2@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 00:43:33 MDT

--- Spike Jones <spike66@ibm.net> wrote:
> m wrote:
>
> > ...2.) I'm sorry to say that many people seem to
> be in
> > attracted to violence.

[...]

> Im sorry too, but it *is* a component of the
> firmware
> in our brains. Or some of us, including me.

[...]

>I apologize for it in
> advance,
> but that bioware is in there. I dont know why,
> where it
> came from or how to get rid of it. Suggestions?
> spike

I agree that we have to aknowledge its existence.
Any intelligent action needs self-knowledge.
If we are aware of such a factor within us we are
better off, we can take it into account and not so
easily be slaves to "hard-wiring" (or cultural
programming).

I think it's partly our evolutionary heritage, which
then gets mis-used. I think it's ridiculous to accept
evolution and not accept that our brains will bear its
stamp, even though culture and individuals might
modify it.

I think we would have to be very careful about any
neurological intervention when dealing with such a
complex thing as the mind/brain.

*Maybe* harmless catharsis might be better?

Think of WWF wrestling- Not real violence, just
terrible over-acting :).

Mike