Re ....aluminum foil on the walls......

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 22:29:55 MDT

There are digital pulse radio-based handheld SAR prototypes being
evaluated for discovery of (breathing/moving) persons behind
walls/doors for police use (shoot here, x marks the spot). Should such
things come into widespread use I guess I wouldn't mind applying a
little tinfoil to my appartment (just as in "Conspiracy Theory"), just
in case.

Brian D Williams writes:
> Unfortunately foil on the walls or the wearing of foil especially
> on the head to protect against aliens is a classic sign of
> schizophrenia.
>
> A number of people who work at night including according to legend,
> Elvis, put foil on bedroom windows to completely darken it for
> sleeping during the day.

A partially aluminized polymer film on windows is actually pretty
useful in heavily insolated areas of the world. Just don't sputter
chrome on it...

> Unless it was properly grounded (Faraday shield) it would not form
> an effective shield against "radio waves" or microwaves, nor would
> it be an effective anti-Tempest defense. (Van Eck Radiation)

So you're telling me the cavity of a ~1 mm wall hollow sphere mounted
on an insulator will be seeing EM radiation softer than xRay? Don't
think so. (Unless you apply sufficient power to evaporate the
conductive layer, that is).

Besides, it is hard enough to tinfoil a room without grounding the
metal layer (unless you live in Teflonia).

There is currently some discussion on protecting a wearable computer
against an EMP attack on the wear-hard@haven.org list. Strange that
Dela Lu wasn't hardened against NEMP, but it certainly makes for more
suspense in the story.