Re: Artilects & stuff

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@www.aeiveos.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 01:53:53 MDT

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> This just says "Thud". To use a Hofstadterian analogy, it's like:
>
> abc->abd::xyz->?
>
> Hofstadter presents a number of answers, including:
>
> xya
> xyd
> wyz (the best)
>
> and one, which Hofstadter says "definitely presents a very loud 'Thud!'",
>
> dyz

Eliezer,

I realize that you are most likely doing an astute analysis
or synopsis here. I also realize that I haven't read the
background material required to make the correlations.

If *I* haven't read it, just taking a number out of a hat, that
means perhaps 7 out of 10 people on the list haven't read it.

For productive discussions, you simply *must* ground your
comments in reference points that people can read and say
oh, xyd = Hofstadter pg 201 in book XXX YYY.

Sub-disciplines of science have their own unique language
and one must constantly wrestle with the tendencies to
fall back on those languages or explain understandings or
details in a way that discourages general access.

Science must be understandable by the average individual
to be useful and you must provide pointers to make that
understanding as simple as possible.

Robert