Re: stuff that shouldn't exist into the next century

From: Terry Donaghe (tdonaghe@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 17:51:14 MDT

--- tim cavanaugh <tim@simpleton.com> wrote:
> I'm writing a story for Wired magazine on
> items that should be discontinued in the
> 21st century - a "Leave It Behind" list.
> I'd be interested to know what people in
> this group believe should be abandoned
> for the next millenium. Can be ideas,
> institutions, countries, people,
> companies, religious beliefs, assumptions,
> or anything else you think is so bad,
> obsolete, irrelevant, dangerous or just
> annoying that the human race would be
> better off kissing it goodbye. Please
> take this opportunity to vent your
> rage against the past, the present, or
> the future. Thanks.

I'm not sure how construction such a list would be, other than maybe to
be looked at as a goals list.

My $0.02 worth:

Coercive government
Pain
Physical suffering
Death
Those damned mustard packets that you have to open with your teeth.
Traffic Jams
Malnutrition
Disease
Sexual frustration
Housecleaning
Diaper changing
War
Elusive Visual Basic bugs that take you 3 hours to track down
Barbie Dolls
Teenaged Boy "Singing" groups (Menudo, In Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc.)
White Folks who think they can dance
Politics
Representative Democracies
Trans Ams and Camaros

And the number one thing to say goodbye to:

Crummy Episodes of The X-Files
===
Terry Donaghe: terry@donaghe.com
http://www.donaghe.com
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams