Re: Genes for nerds

From: James Veverka (headbands@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 19:35:45 MDT

Thats really astonishing. Here's another article of interest:
========
Casting Light on Shadow Syndromes

http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/SCIENCE/MEDICINE/t000078745.html
========

attached mail follows:

Check out this URL from Slashdot regarding nerd genes that
may be "Shadow Syndromes", i.e. mental disorders where the
genetic mutations may cause milder symptoms or incomplete
penetrance.

  http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife.asp?f=990908/74176.html

Slashdot commentary:

There is also a book: Shadow Syndromes, by Harvard psychiatrist
John Ratey (co-authored with Catherine Johnson). Unfortunately
Amazon.com is *CLOSED* right now (can you believe it...) so
I can't give the URL.

I don't fit the whole collection they describe, but some of
traits strike pretty close to home. Something they don't seem
to mention is the possibility of offseting variants of other
genes. This plot is going to get very thick before we find
out who all the culprits and accessories are.

This is great, it means I'm "disadvantaged", I bet I can sue
someone so I get to park in the handicapped parking spaces...

Give us about 4 years and I'll be pricking peoples fingers
at Extro9 (informed consentually of course) so we can find
them there "libertarian" genes...

Robert