Re: NANOMED: Gene Therapy

From: Joao Pedro Magalhaes (jpnitya@esoterica.pt)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 19:24:28 MDT

Hi!

Perhaps virus are not likely to become the best vectors to use in somatic
gene therapy. The changes we transhumanists wish to operate on our genome
far extend the capacity of present virus to transport DNA. Avoiding aging
will require changes in many genes, we're talking Mbases here. I somewhat
think that a bacteria might be a better choice -- they're presently used to
create transgenic plants. Or, and probably what will happen, a combination
of several molecules from several sources: virus, bacteria and even human
DNA (at least to make our vector stealth to the immune system); within the
next few decades, when we fully understand the molecular mechanisms of
life, we'll architect the perfect vector to change somatic human cells.

Hasta.