Re: Deep Blue - white paper

From: hal@finney.org
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 23:58:13 MDT

> Does anyone know of a source for a deeper explanation of the Deep Blue
> strategy?

The October 1990 issue of Scientific American had an article by two of
the creators of Deep Blue, Hsu and Campbell. Of course, this was an
earlier version of the machine. I would guess that they have published
some more in-depth technical info on Deep Blue, possibly in the AI
journals and conferences, but I am not familiar with that literature.

I wasn't able to find any detailed info on the IBM site, which
is surprising. Speculating, it may be that they want to use the
publicity to help sell their RS6000 computers, but in fact DB was a
heavily customized version of the RS6000 and arguably got most of its
"smarts" from its custom chess chips. So its success does not have much
to do with the RS6000 that IBM is trying to sell, and therefore detailed
technical information would not suit IBM's marketing purposes.

Hal