META: Neanderthal attitudes

From: Chris Fedeli (fedeli@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 21:07:08 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

>And maybe we should even create a set
>of "easily-abused" topics like gender
>differentials, in which posting on the subject
>makes you liable to summary judgement of
>scientific illiteracy, resulting in one warning
>followed by unsubscription.

"Easily abused" is a good way of putting it. Research into
sex differences is essential for a complete understanding of
how we evolved, so it's not bad science. But we don't want
to be flip about discussing it either.

Personal experience - not too long ago I had the chance to
give a presentation on transhumanist themes to some of my
classmates. The seminar was called "Critical Thought
Seminar: Race, Gender and the Law", so as you could imagine
it was packed with hardcore lefties. I tried to find a way
to talk about biology and genetic engineering that wouldn't
get me scortched, so I took a tortured, roundabout approach
that would probably get laughs from most people here.

I wound up getting a reasonably positive response, and I get
the feeling that a big part of that was just the way I
presented the ideas. I know that talk of biology or
genetics as it relates to social policy is still considered
blashphemy in most lefty circles, so I was deliberately
solicitious, sending the message "hey, you guys have serious
concerns with this stuff and I can sympathize with that."
Just showing that much concern for the sensitivity of the
topic was enough to convince the room that my intentions
were not evil and that they could hear me out.

I know many other people here have a lot more experience
presenting transhumanism than I do so I'll shut up. But
Kathryn's observation about the effect that these
discussions can have in alienating women is right on, and
it's at least something to think about.

Chris Fedeli