Re: Why Libertarianism is mistaken

From: Michael S. Lorrey (retroman@turbont.net)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 18:42:40 MDT

Michael A Johnson wrote:

> Many on the list expouse libertarian views, in many ways so do I, however
> "Libertarianism" has come under sharp attack. In fact, many feel that is
> has been disproven and found untenable. This is why I feel the term
> "Libertarianism" cannot be used to describe Extropian political values.
> Yes, they both share some tennents, but if the Extropian movement is to
> advance it needs to develop its own strain of thought and vocabulary.
> Utilizing a different term instead of Libertarianism is a first step in
> building a new political/social construct. For those not familiar with the
> critique please look at the links below.
> http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~jah/politics/libcrit.short
> http://www.etsu.edu/philos/faculty/hugh/libertar.htm

I would love to know when and where libertarianism has ever been
'disproven' or found untenable. To my knowledge there has NEVER been a
libertarian government since before our Civil War, however from my own
perspective I can see that many of the reforms in the US government in
the last decade which have made a positive difference in people's lives
all originated as libertarian ideas... please educate us. The essays you
link to are mere thought experiments.

Mike Lorrey