re:knowledge doubling (what sort of units? How do you count it?)

From: Skye Howard (skyezacharia@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 12:06:51 MDT

Hard to quantify "knowledge," though, isn't it? I
suspect you mean scientific type information regarding
the world around us, but how do you quantify the size
of even that? Would a new type of animal be greater
or lesser than a new type of medical procedure? Could
you quantify knowledge at all? I suppose there might
be a few ways, but I haven't ever heard of one
specific enough that you could actually say, "Yes, we
are absolutely twice as intelligent as (x) years ago."