Re: NEURO: Head Transplants"

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@www.aeiveos.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 01:55:34 MDT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> Where are they getting the bodies?

Well, Anders and I were hoping we could split yours after you
became an AI... To provide a couple of more years of carnal
pleasure here on earth while you are exploring the uploaded
landscape to make sure it is safe... I can see it now --

"Do you know this body was once occupied by Eliezer?"
"No, you're kidding, Eliezer Yudkowsky, the first human
upload transcendent AI?"
"Yep, the very same!"
"Can I touch it?"
"Well, thats a start..."

Many :-)

Seriously though, the "body" problem is one of significant
concern. There is a movement in some medical/political circles
to *require* obligatory organ donation. It seems to me
this is directly opposed to the perspective of cryonics
and these two forces are going to meet head on. As
Greg monitors the AgBio debates, we should all keep our
eyes peeled for efforts to expand "eminent domain"
to include our bodies as well.

Robert