Re: Australian pinko communists

From: Patrick Wilken (patrickw@cs.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sun Aug 22 1999 - 05:42:48 MDT

>Tim (sans Mike):
>
>Very bad also that they are now shifting government sponsorship of research
>to the one area that does not need it: applied reseearch. In other words,
>the government sponsors particular firms at the cost of other firms, in
>areas in which those firms woudl have invested anyhow. The one thing that
>firms are unwilling to do (basic research) is left to die on the vine.

How much are we as scientists to blame I wonder. Its a simple truth (and so
probably wrong) that Australians don't like research. If the same sorts of
energy spent on football and cricket were spent on sicence and technology
Australia would already have a base a on Mars and another in orbit around
Jupiter. *sigh*.

Changing the subject: I noticed that you are doing work looking on 'g'. For
my PhD I have been doing work on capacity limits on the number of items
that can be held in visual attention and short-term memory. A casual
observation is that people who are very mathematically inclined seem to
have a much higher capacity than the average person. Does this make any
sense from your own work?

ciao, patrick

Patrick Wilken
Editor: PSYCHE: An International Journal of Research on Consciousness
Board Member: The Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness
http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/ http://www.phil.vt.edu/ASSC/