RE: consciousness, self, awareness....again.

From: Rob Harris Cen-IT (Rob.Harris@bournemouth.gov.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 10:34:59 MDT

>A conscious person is conscious because he is self aware.

(When I talk of 'consciousness', I am referring to the "here I am"
sensation, the source of sensations, the "soul" if you like, and nothing
else.)
I would offer that nobody I've ever read or talked to on this subject knows
what causes consciousness. So where did this come from?
And what do you mean by "self aware"? The awareness of your own
status/position like a moving autonomous robot, or perhaps you are allowing
the concepts of consciousness and awareness to clash, resulting in a
circular definition....? "Awareness" and "self" as well as consciousness are
hideously ambiguous terms in general use, but cannot be interchangeable or
loosely defined if statements involving the three are supposed to be taken
seriously. What do you think?

>This self awareness is a pointer in mind pointing to itself.

So what is this original "self", disregarding the closed pointer loop? Can
there be a "self" without this pointer in your model?
How do you view the "self" in relation to your awareness and
consciousness...?

>Now that I've defined consciousness lets dive into some deeper issues.

You didn't define consciousness - or anything else for that matter....you
tried to describe how the undetermined "it" arises.

>What is the brains function actualy but to exchange information with other
>brain functions. Isn't this whole process part of what makes you
conscious?

Ahhhh... questions rather than answers built on a house of cards.
Is it? So you're saying that perhaps the distributed nature of brain
function may in part contribute to the platform upon which consciousness
stands? Maybe......how did you arrive at this idea? (expand)?

>The link between minds would become the new pointer. Its higher up in the
>higharchy and therefore has priority.
>With this new software pointer you can link to as many minds as you want.#

What hierarchy? What about the "self" present in each human?

the system manager.

www.bournemouth.gov.uk