Re: NANO: Jacking in without a jack (fwd)

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 07:31:36 MDT

I would suggest placing a nanotech mesh that can be opened and closed
in the synaptic cleft; during normal operation the mesh is open and
neurotransmittors can get past normally. During VR, the mesh closes
and deploys both fake receptors to suck up released neurotransmittors
(in order to avoid build-ups causing downregulation in the presynaptic
cell) and activating synthetic ion channels in the postsynaptic cell
to transmit simulated inputs. This would nicely work for I/O. Problems
that need to be solved is both getting signals to it (guess all the
answers are in Nanomedicine :-), how to anchor it in place given that
cells move around quite a bit, and how to not interfere with local
metabolism.

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y