Re: So What Will They Teach???

From: m (mt_2@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 03:09:07 MDT

--- Spike Jones <spike66@ibm.net> wrote:
> theory
> > >

> In the 1970s Florida managed to teach so very little
> about
> evolution in the schools, I knew not one damn thing
> about it
> (except the ridiculing caricatures) until college,
> even tho I
> had taken 2 years of the biology/life sciences
> courses.

I pity the American schoolkids, I pity freedom of
thought of this kind of stuff goes on.

Schoolkids have a right to religious studies (and
there are many religions, and interpretations apart
from what a fundamentalist might like).

But they also have a right to a Science curriculum
that hasn't been neutred by censors.

Dogmatism is the software version of lobotomy.

I'm glad (at the moment) that I live in Australia.
But there have been campaigns to do the same here.
This kind of thing sets a precedent the world over.

---
PS (re a post elsewhere in this thread) I don't think
it's fair to associate anti-g*n attitudes with
creationist fundamentalism, just as strong a case
could be made for associating pro-g*n attitudes with
fundamentalism.
I don't think it helps anybody to conflate the issues.
Mike