Re: Mensa

From: Edd111@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 22:14:48 MDT

I went to a Mensa gathering as an undergraduate at UCLA. You're right. It
was fun for a visit, but I wouldn't want to make it a religious routine to
attend their meetings. The other thing which has bothered me of recent
vintage is that their criterion is the staid, old verbal/spatial reasoning
aspect of IQ. Go into any Barnes and Noble and check out their tests for the
masses.
They just don't 'get it'.
Mensans conveniently forget that IQ is now defined to measure other things in
a person, viz. Creativity, Kinesthetics, Music Ability, etc. If Mensa was
really concerned about some arbitrary cutoff of intellectual skills (the
upper 2% if my 30 year old memory since college is correct), then they must
include famous actors/actresses/musicians,athletes, etc. people whose IQ as
defined by Mensans would be insinuatingly mediocre, but who have proven
themselves as easily qualifying in the top 1 or 2% in their own 'intellectual
abilities'.