Re: cryptonomicon question

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 22:15:44 MDT

T0Morrow@aol.com wrote:

> Read more closely the circumstances surrounding Root's supposed death, gents.
> You ought to pick up intimations of medical fraud. I strongly doubt that
> Stephenson had any time-travel/alternate universe narrative foolishness...

Ja, I think the hooded man (p.542) must have indeed been the padre. I had
dismissed that possibility, being as the doctor etherized Root, so I
had a hard time believing Root had revived enough to walk out under his
own power a few minutes later, but there was no one else who
would have left the doctor's office. Also that explains Root's comments
on page 541 about cigars. In Rudy's mysterious cigar box was
alpha tetradotoxin, which would simulate death and allow Root to
escape, and, as a bonus, would explain the padre's curious comments
on page538.

However, that still doesnt explain the prisoner next to Randy
Waterhouse. Was that the old man himself? Wouldnt Randy
have thought it odd that an 80 year old guy was so up to date
on cryptology? spike