Re: The Extinction Challenge

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 14:59:34 MDT

GBurch1@aol.com writes:

> Not fair, Billy. If I can't use nanotech and at least minimal AI, I can't
> wipe out the target. WIth them, I think I can.

This doesn't address the original issue, as the agent which wiped out
the civilisation would be still at large, free to wreak havoc upon its
stellar surroundings. We might get wiped out by a Gray Goo event, or
gobbled up by a malignant Singularity, but that still leaves the
infectious Gray Goo autoreplicators free to be carried out of the
system by solar wind (or evolving a faster means of travel), and the
Blight reach out for neighbouring systems.

The restructured hole in the skies is still there. Now, on the other
hand, there is some obvious technology (the equivalent of putting
table salt and silverware into kitchen microwave) which makes your
system go up on a GRB flare, that would be different. This still
leaves room for interstellar probes escaping, however.