Re: Melatonin, other sleep cycle affecting stuff, info please

From: GBurch1@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 06:27:37 MDT

In a message dated 99-07-19 00:46:36 EDT, Emlyn.ORegan@actew.com.au (O'Regan,
Emlyn) wrote:

> I remember reading about Melatonin - is it useful in this context? Are there
> other drugs/supplements which can help with a freaky sleep cycle?

I started using melatonin when I was traveling overseas frequently and found
that it worked very well to adjust my diurnal cycle quickly and with no
noticeable side-effects. About 2 years ago, after reading about how the
body's natural melatonin production begins to decline from about age 30 on
and its important anti-oxidant functions, I began taking melatonin regularly
here at home, 3 mg one-half hour before bedtime. My sleep has certainly
improved and I've had no adverse side-effects (and I get regular, in-depth
medical exams).

I don't know what sort of effects there might be from using melatonin on a
regular basis to shift one's diurnal cycle back and forth, but don't believe
experimenting with it for a while would be harmful.

     Greg Burch <GBurch1@aol.com>----<gburch@lockeliddell.com>
     Attorney ::: Vice President, Extropy Institute ::: Wilderness Guide
      http://users.aol.com/gburch1 -or- http://members.aol.com/gburch1
                         "Civilization is protest against nature;
                  progress requires us to take control of evolution."
                                      -- Thomas Huxley