Re: JFK Jr. Reported missing

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 19:53:35 MDT

dan writes:

> I think that statistically, the time you spend in the air is
> safer than time spent in a car. If this is correct, then air

I thought the accident statistics were calibrated to miles
travelled. I do not have any reference, do you?

> travel is only dangerous to the extent that it causes extra
> car travel to and from the airport. Of course, the super-rich

It would be interesting to compare ultra-economy vs. business flights,
private jets and choppers in regards to frequency of accidents.

> are more likely to employ professional drivers, and statistically
> the professionals are safer per mile than non-professionals.
> Please note: statistics don't tell the whole tale as we all know.

I am aware of that. Personal decisions matter a lot, and always will.
What is interesting is how few people handle dangers rationally (I
personally do not, but at least do not claim to do so).